Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Taking Risks

Camp 4 in Yosemite is where the rock climbers stay, and when I’m in Yosemite I stay with them. I like their camaraderie and the stories they tell around the campfire of their adventures from the day. Climbers know their activity is dangerous. Sometimes they lose their grip or the rock disintegrates in their hands and they fall, with safety ropes catching them thirty or fifty feet down and the only injuries are bruises. But sometimes ropes snap, or climbers hit points of rock on the way down and bones break. Climbers die every year from pushing themselves or their equipment too far. Yet taking this risk with others, and pushing to the edge that separates failure and success, teaches them about courage, teamwork, and most importantly, about their inner strengths.

I can comfortably get through life doing what I’ve always done. But I only grow when I take risks and attempt challenges that I’ve never done before. Taking risks also brings excitement into the day and pushes me to the edge where I can discover hidden abilities. I would guess that most changes in the world happen because of people taking risks, when they see a need and try to help without knowing how they are going to do this, improvising on the spot. Taking risks with a group of people builds community and teaches us about trust and working together.

No comments:

Post a Comment