Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Listening to Birds

After Evelyn died, people wrote letters and cards of condolence. Many did not know what to say for someone who died in her forties.

One of the memorable letters came from Judy Rasmussen. It addressed our sense of loss and what remains of people when they die, what stays with us and gives us strength. Judy wrote, “There is no right card, no right expression, no wisdom. My heart is so heavy that I can’t express myself. I am sitting in my garden listening to the birds. I can hear Evelyn’s hearty laugh beyond their sound, and hear her sing. Her presence is strong. I remember Evelyn approaching me after my sister’s passing. I barely knew her. She put her arms around me, drew me in, and helped me begin the healing process. Evelyn’s warmth and sensitivity are embedded in my heart.”

Judy died this week. The one who heard Evelyn with the singing of the birds is gone. Her presence will also be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment