Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Walking Free

Out walking this morning, I was shocked to find that the world had gotten along on its own just fine without me. I hadn’t been outside in a week, being busy with tasks inside my house. In the meantime, the trees had changed from empty branches to umbrellas of thick green, bushes and plants were flowering, and birds were filling the air with their songs. I remembered that I was part of the world, not the other way around. It felt enlightening to be outdoors again.

As I walk, my breathing speeds up to match the pace of the body. My thoughts slow down to move at the pace of my breathing. My mind and body reconnect, unlike when I sit still at my desk and work with my mind, ignoring the needs of my body until I stand up stiff, hungry, and dehydrated.

I try to walk without a destination, without an agenda, without worrying if I’m walking fast enough for this to count as exercise. I try to leave all thoughts of projects at home and walk just to see what catches my attention, what thoughts come, what feelings surface. I try to walk free, at whatever speed feels good.

By walking, I loosen up the ligaments of my brain that I’ve strapped down to get work done. I let it run outdoors and play, creating games and stories for what I see.

It’s irresponsible, I know, to walk around my neighborhood with no purpose at all, but I still do it. The neighbors nod at me as I pass, without a clue about what I’m doing.